At present time T.F. Gorbachev Kuzbass State Technical University is one of the largest higher educational institutions of Western Siberia, representing by itself the large center of Kemerovo region where fundamental, applied and developmental works are carried out practically for all industries of Kuzbass and Russia.
The researches and development in KuzSTU are conducted on as follows: geomechanics; coal chemistry; nanotechnology; geology; exploration and technology of ecologically safe development of deposits and mining; geodesy; land management; ecology; deep coal processing technologies; labor and industrial safety (in mining and chemistry; engineering; modeling of technological and physical processes; economy and management in base industrial branches of Kuzbass.
The university's aim is strengthening and development of human potential of Russia’s leading coal region on the basis of consolidation of resources and university possibilities with the key enterprises of the region in educational, scientific-innovative and international activity.
The university's strategic objective is achievement of leader positions on the basis of strengthening of intellectual elite and scientific and pedagogical schools of higher education institution, attraction of talents for the solution of educational, scientific and production, social and economic problems of Kuzbass.
Nowadays, over 600 academic teachers, including 346 Candidates of Science and 98 Doctors of Science, train over 8000 under- and postgraduate students. For 65 years of its existence the University has trained over 80000 specialists working in all regions of Russia and CIS.
KuzSTU consolidates eight institutes:
- Mining Institute;
- Power Engineering Institute;
- Institute of Economics and Management;
- Chemical, Oil and Gas Technologies Institute;
- Construction Institute;
- Institute of IT, Mechanical Engineering and Motor Transport;
- Institute of Industrial and Ecological Safety; and
- Institute of Supplementary Professional Education,
where bachelors (four years) and masters (two years) are trained in the following areas:
- Public and Municipal Administration;
- Land Development and Cadastres;
- Thermal Power Engineering and Thermal Engineering;
- Electrical Power Engineering and Electrical Engineering;
- Mechanical Engineering;
- Design and Engineering Support for Mechanical Engineering;
- Technology of Transport Processes;
- Automation of Manufacturing Processes;
- Quality Management;
- Information Systems and Technologies;
- Applied Informatics;
- Chemical Engineering;
- Energy and Resource Saving Processes in Chemical Engineering, Petrochemistry and Biotechnology;
- Construction; and
- Technosphere Safety.
University also trains specialists (five-six years) in:
- Economics safety;
- Applied geology;
- Physical processes of mining or oil and gas production; and
- Construction of unique buildings and constructions.
Upon completion of basic education there is an opportunity to do postgraduate studies. Training is carried out on nineteen postgraduate and on five doctoral programs.
There are fourteen scientific and educational centres (SEC) at KuzSTU:
- Mining SEC
- Diagnosing of technical devices of hazard production objects
- Nanoengineering of coating surface of machine’s parts
- Ecology of Kuzbass
- Scientific and educational centre for thermo-physics and thermo-power engineering
- Ecologically safe mining of coal deposits at the expense of their complex development
- Creation and processing of crystal materials
- Sociological researches
- Geotechnical innovative centre
- Centre of innovative technologies in coal industry
- Processing and utilization of technogenic substances and waste
- Surveying scientific and educational centre
- Industrial safety
- Humanitarian scientific centre
There are twelve research and training laboratories (RTL) at KuzSTU:
- Improvement of underground mining technology of Kuzbass coal deposits;
- Environmental protection;
- Processes and devices of water purification, processing and utilization of industrial wastes;
- Kemerovo laboratory of economic researches of the Institute of Economics and Organization of Industrial Production of Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences;
- Hydromechanization, geomechanics and controlling of a rock condition at open-cast mining of mineral deposits;
- Mining machines;
- Historical and cultural heritage of Kuzbass;
- Artificial intelligence;
- Applied mechanics of fatigue rupture;
- Laboratory of industrial tensometric systems;
- Nanoengineering of coating surface of machines' parts; and
- Innovative RL of creation of new means, ways and technologies of excavation reinforcement, monitoring of their condition, new ways and means of degassing of coal seams, complex use of coal and methane gas at the level of nanotechnologies.
Also eight small innovation enterprises (SIE) work under the auspices of KuzSTU including the following:
- Ltd. SIE ‘Siberia SKD’;
- Ltd. SIE ‘Scientific Technical Centre ‘Ecosystem’;
- Ltd. ‘SIE Impes’;
- CJSC SIE ‘Research Design Institute ‘KUZBASSPROEKT’;
- Ltd. ‘SIE ‘Kuzbass Aerospace Scientific and Technological Center’;
- Ltd. SIE ‘Siberian Engineering Center ‘Mine Expert’;
- Ltd. ‘SIE Technical machines’; and
- Ltd. SIE ‘Scientific and Production Centre of Innovative Technologies in Coal Industry’.
KuzSTU is a unique platform for the development of business-like and scientific and technical cooperation with leading enterprises of Kuzbass. There are over 5.5 thousand industrial enterprises on the territory of Kemerovo oblast, the majority of specialists and managers are KuzSTU graduates maintaining close relations with their ‘almamater’. Nowadays, KuzSTU has 76 strategic agreements with companies of Kemerovo oblast.
KuzSTU closely cooperates with international universities and companies: Shandong University of Science and Technology (Qingdao, the People's Republic of China), Technical University named after Georgius Agricola (Bochum, Germany), Karaganda State Technical University (Karaganda, Kazakhstan), Archeology Institute (Almaty, Kazakhstan), Belarus National Technical University (Minsk, the Republic of Belarus), Sevastopol National Technical University (Sevastopol, Ukraine), APTECHLIMITED (Mumbai, India), Engineer-Technical Institute named after acad. Satpayev K.I. (Ekibastuz, Kazakhstan), Center of Scientific and Technical Information of Central Asia of Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region of the People’s Republic of China (Urumqi, the People's Republic of China).
Branches of the university are located in the following cities:
KuzSTU comprises sixteen educational buildings of parent institution and branches. It has scientific and technical library, training and production complex, three hostels, geodesic base, ski lodge, food complex, sanatorium and printing office.
University questionnaire: http://www.russia.edu.ru/idbv/#id=90
University website: www.kuzstu.ru